Thursday 29 September 2011

A personal testimony of praying outside the clinic



I’m so grateful to you that your ‘witness’ persuaded me into showing up at the Vigil today. I’m not sure if I mentioned, but I had never done anything like that ever before. I felt nervous as I arrived and I had little idea what to expect, but of course everyone was very welcoming and I felt ‘bedded in.’

I do often feel  rather timid when it comes to speaking about my faith in an unsympathetic environment. But having prayed for almost 2 hours in the street in the presence of total strangers and getting strange looks and a little bit of abuse (“I’d flamethrower the lot of you”!) I realised why so many people say that being involved with pro life work (and especially vigils) was THE thing that energised their faith. In a sense one is so ‘metaphysically exposed’ that one can’t really dodge the question ‘why aren’t you doing more about your faith?’ leading on to ‘what are the obstacles to Grace within me?’

But as I say I don’t want you to think that I was just standing there engaged in profound introspection! I also prayed for an end to this all. With all the advances in medicine etc I think sometimes you have to pinch yourself to remember that something so crude and evil is just rolling on.


I’m not really sure why I’ve written all this, but I thought you might be interested in my impressions, maybe I just needed to TELL someone, and of course I wanted to thank you again.

With prayers and keep up the good work!!


No comments:

Post a Comment